Decree Law No. 51/2011
- Issuer: Ministry of Justice
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 51/2011
- Pages: 2180 - 2225
Summary in plain english
What is it?
This decree-law approves the General Prison Regulations, a set of rules that governs the operation of prisons.
What information does it contain?
This decree-law includes information about:
- procedures for taking in, transferring and releasing prisoners
- leave and transport
- accommodation, clothing, bed linen and personal hygiene
- catering and canteens
- food that can be received from outside the prison
- health care
- education, training, work, socio-cultural activities and sports
- socio-economic support
- contact with the outside world (packages, visits, mail, phone calls, communication with lawyers, public notary, etc.)
- collaboration with private institutions and voluntary organizations
- specific rules for prisoners who are foreigners, female, have children under 18 or have mental health problems.
What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to:
- make sure that the rules are applied equally in all prisons
- create better conditions for prisoners and promote their reintegration into society
- promote greater co-operation between the prison service and civil society.
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into effect 60 days after being published.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law