Decree Law No. 14/2011
- Issuer: Ministry of Justice
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 14/2011
- Pages: 490 - 492
Summary in plain english
What is it?
This decree-law creates the Justice Modernization Fund, set up to finance projects that will modernize the justice system.
How does the Fund works?
Projects supported by the Fund
The Fund supports projects in the following areas:
- introducing new technology and new procedures in order to make services more efficient
- equip and modernize courts
- training courses and awareness campaigns
- scientific research.
Where is the Fund financed?
From 1 January 2011, the following will revert to the Fund:
- 5% of the money the Portuguese State gets from traffic fines
- 50% of the extra justice tax that is paid by companies that go to court frequently (if a company has brought 200 or more cases to court the previous year it pays extra justice tax)
- 50% of the money that the courts have recovered from criminal activity
- a percentage (to be defined by the government) of the money recovered from tax evasion
- inheritances, donations and contributions to the Fund
- the profits from investments made with the Fund’s money.
Who manages the Fund?
The Fund is managed by the executive board of the Institute of Financial Management and Infrastructure of Justice, which is responsible for:
- approving the annual plan and activity report
- suggesting to the Justice Minister how the resources from the Fund should be applied
- select which projects to support
- ensure that the support given by the Fund is properly used.
What are its benefits?
The Fund will contribute to improving public administration by guaranteeing the finance for ongoing or planned projects for the modernization of the justice system.
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into effect five days after being published.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law